HE Tasters and Summer Schools
Looking for a way to increase students’ interest in university? Taster Courses are a way for students to experience life at university and take their preferred subject area on a trial run.
Most universities offer taster courses and/or summer schools. If you have a student interested in a specific university, it’s worth searching the individual university’s website for what they have to offer.
Another great way to search for summer courses is simply to put in “University summer” into any decent search engine and filter by UK results only, however, the list is fairly endless. More specifically, for “taster” courses only, the best search is “university taster courses”.
Here are links to some resources we found useful, covering higher education tasters and summer schools:
- Future Morph gives real life examples of students who have been inspired through these courses.
- If you have students interested in one of the Russell Group universities, taster courses can be searched for on their website.
- Futureversity offers thousands of exciting opportunities for young people to try something new in the summer and year round in sports, art, technology, business, media, careers, fitness, beauty, cookery, science...the list goes on and on.
- Students interested in maths and science can get an introduction to engineering through the Smallpeice Trust courses.
- Summer Schools Directory offers a search facility of academic summer courses.
- Open Days - this university and college open day directory also has some useful links.
- The Cambridge Summer School is a pre-university summer school for 16-19 year olds.
- The London Taster Course Programme offers a range of courses in a variety of subject areas at 23 London area institutions. These can be searched by subject area, university or keyword.
- One week taster courses are offered through Sutton Trust Summer Schools. These courses offer a mixture of academic and social activities that allow students to experience life at university.
- Oxford University summer schools and short courses aimed at international students.
- University of Portsmouth summer schools with emphasis on Marketing and Communications.
- Pathways to Property is a free summer school for year 12 students interested in property, held at the University of Reading.
- Free three day tasters in teaching from Sheffield Hallam University.
- Summer schools in Business from Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Bournemouth University information about previous summer schools for Year 12 students.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
We promise not to share your email with external organisations, and you may unsubscribe at any time.